How to Keep areas clean for your dog
Your dog travels all around the house all day. Here are five places to remember to keep clean. Watch this how-to video as the Dog Channel offers five places your dog encounters that are important to clean regularly. Remember he always travels to his toys, crate and bed.
1. Launder your pet's bed or bedding cover as often as you launder your sheets – or about once a week. Hot water is ideal to remove dander and other allergens on your dog's bed, and help handle the dirt and debris dragged into the house.
2. Toss your dog's favorite dirt-encrusted toy into the washing machine with a very small amount of laundry detergent. Rinse it well and check for any soap residue left before giving it back to him.
3. Use a hose with a high-power nozzle to spray clean your dog's crate. Just scrub or wipe the crate to remove stubborn gunk, then rinse, and leave it in a sunny spot to dry.
4. Wash your dog's food bowls with soap and hot water after every use to prevent food-borne illness. Glass and stainless steel dog bowls are dishwasher-safe and easiest to clean.
5. For dog clothes, follow the care instructions on the label as you would your own clothes. Add one-half cup of baking soda to minimize dog odor and the perfumed aroma of laundry detergent, or use a detergent made just for dog laundry.